Spanish Immersion Program
Kalamazoo Christian offers both a traditional English learning curriculum and a Spanish Immersion learning curriculum. The Spanish Immersion (SI) program starts with our 3's & 4's Preschool and continues on through middle school. The core curriculum for both English and Spanish Immersion (SI) are the same. The difference between them is the language arts curriculum that surrounds the SI-enrolled students. In middle school and high school, students enrolled in the SI program take some of their content courses in the target language, to maintain their Spanish language skills, while still rotating classes with their traditional English classmates. This program is designed to immerse students in the Spanish language while maintaining a high-quality, Christ-centered education.
What is Immersion?
- A research-based, proven method of educating children by immersing them in a second or "target" language so they become fully bilingual.
- The classroom environment becomes the setting for language acquisition through: core subject content instruction, educational discourse, and social interactions.
How does it work?
- Students begin their immersion experience in preschool, kindergarten, or first grade.
- Students are taught to read, write, and converse in Spanish by becoming immersed in the Spanish language throughout the school day. All core subject areas are taught in Spanish.
- Explicit teaching of English only skills (that are not transferable), beginning in third grade, occurs through core subject areas such as social studies or science.
- In middle school, students will transition into a secondary continuing immersion experience that will allow students to further build academic vocabulary in Spanish while still changing classes and interacting with their English only classmates.
The Benefits of Spanish Immersion
Empirical evidence reveals the following benefits to learning a second language:
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth and enhances a child's mental development.
- Produces students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves children's understanding of their own native language.
- Enhances children's ability to learn additional languages.
Kalamazoo Christian has partnered with add.a.lingua to help design a research-based curriculum, provide experience in immersion education, and facilitate teacher training. Their expertise in working with other Christian Schools throughout the Midwest has given our program the support and training for a terrific foundation. More information about add.a.lingua can be found on their website.
The best way to learn more about Spanish Immersion at Kalamazoo Christian Schools is to experience it yourself. Contact the School Office at (269) 544-2332 or you can also email Cecilia Sebastiani at for enrollment information, specific curriculum questions, or to schedule a tour today.