At Kalamazoo Christian Schools, our mission is to engage the hearts, minds, and bodies of our students through a rigorous and well-rounded curriculum. From elementary school through high school, each child is encouraged to explore, understand, and delight in God’s kingdom, in an environment that is both academically challenging and developmentally appropriate.
The academic curriculum at our fully accredited, private Christian schools is meant to develop hard-working and critical-thinking students who are prepared for success in college and beyond. Our students regularly out-perform students from other Kalamazoo schools on standardized tests, and our alumni have gone on to achieve advanced degrees and prominent positions in their chosen fields. The following are just a few things that stand out when it comes to academics at Kalamazoo Christian schools:
- Average class size: 22
- 52% of staff hold advanced degrees
- Consistently high graduation rate
- 95% of seniors advance to college after graduation
- Highest scores on the Michigan Merit Exam in all of Kalamazoo County in 2011
- Highest mean score on the ACT in all of Kalamazoo County in 2011
- 52% of high school juniors tested as college-ready in 2011
· 5 Advanced Placement courses offered at Kalamazoo Christian H.S.
A Well-Rounded Education
Our academic program is enriched by dozens of offerings in the arts, music, sciences, technology and foreign languages. These classes and extracurricular offerings deepen the student experience from preschool through high school to give them a more well-rounded Christian education. In addition, these offerings allow students to discover their personal strengths, talents and interests while working towards their academic goals. Some of these offerings include:
- An Applied Technology curriculum, offered at Kalamazoo Christian High School, which earned an “Exemplary Program” award from the State of Michigan
- Our Spanish Immersion program which leads to Spanish fluency by 5th grade at Kalamazoo Christian Elementary
- A nationally ranked Junior Engineering Technical Society (JETS)
- Musical offerings through band, choir culminating in the KCHS Ambassadors and Chorale, and Symphonic Band
- A state championship-winning KCHS Quiz Bowl team
- Basketball, soccer, tennis, volleyball and track and field athletic teams, many of which have gone on to win conference and state championships
Our Curriculum Principles
Each and every one of the courses offered at our private Christian schools is based on our core curriculum principles. These principles create a classroom environment in which students are challenged academically while also integrating their faith into different subject areas. Our curriculum principles at Kalamazoo Christian Schools are:
- We believe the Word of God is the foundation for learning and understanding.
- We believe in the Lordship of Jesus Christ; the world belongs to God.
- We believe that faith and learning cannot be separated but are uniquely integrated.
- We believe that the home, school and church form a partnership through which children, who are image bearers of God, are nurtured. The primary function of the school is to educate.
- Our curriculum is teacher-driven rather than textbook-driven or workbook-centered. Because our teachers are committed Christians and well-trained professional educators, they are entrusted with the curriculum and responsibility to teach and present materials from a Christ-centered perspective, even when using secular materials. We use high-quality, research-based materials which best fit our curriculum.